Made some vegan cheese another day and got a couple requests to post the recipe, so here ya go! Works for lactose intolerant, paleo, vegan, keto and oil free friends!
Roasted beets provide and miso the decadent cheese flavor and make it perfect for mac-n-cheese, spreads and dips.
- 2 cups nutritional yeast
- 1.5 cup roasted golden beets
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 2 Tbspn onion powder
1/3 cup dried chives
- 3-4 Tbspn miso paste
- 1 Tbspn minced garlic
- 2 Tbspn lemon juice
- 1 Tbspn agar agar powder (to thicken. Skip if you want it thinner, queso-texture)
- pepper, paprika, cardamom, ginger... and whatever other spices you fancy
- Cayene! ... as many dashes as you can handle .
Blend all the ingredients till smooth, add to the pot on medium heat until boils, add agar agar, stir well and pour into clean jars + seal while hot.
1. Sterilize the jars by heating them in the microwave for 5 minutes and letting them cool. This way, the cheese will store sealed for up to a couple of weeks in the fridge (if it lasts that long ).
2. The texture will solidify a little bit after the cheese sits in the fridge for a couple hours. Spread it on bread, make spaghetti alfredo, or vegan pizza with it! Or just eat it with a spoon out of the jar like I do...