The time has come. This is one of my favorite foods to make and eat. Gotta admit: I LOVE SEITAN!
Omnivores who are going "wtf", seitan is a pattie made of vital wheat gluten - the glutenous, proteiny part of the wheat kernel. Unlike cake flour which us the carby part of the wheat kernel that is light, fluffy and depleted of nutrients, vital wheat gluten makes a perfect meat replacement (texture and macro-wise).
Have not found a meat-eater friend who didn't LOVE this recipe.
- packed with protein
- and fiber
- meaty, stringy texture
- satisfying and portable snack
- digested slowly, keeps you full for a while
- easy to add leafy greens into the batter in and not even taste them!
In a blender/food processor, pure:
- 2 cups zucchini (or another soft vegetable) optional. omit if you want a firmer meaty-stringy texture 2 cups leafy greens (I used pea shoots)
- 1 Tbspn lime juice
- 1 Tbspn apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce /tamari /liquid aminos
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 Cup vegetable broth (or 1 Tbspn seasoning + water)
- 1 Tbspn baking soda
- spices of your choice ( I added pepper, mushroom powder, coriander, and a large dash of cayenne for that kick) onion powder and tumeric works great too.
- 1-2 cups vital wheat gluten - enough to get the dough stick together into one huge ball
Form 7-8 parties and bake at 375 F 15-17 min on each side.
p.s. I'm no food photographer, sorry, perfectionists