There are a million ways to prepare the wonderful bean curd. You can get it pre-cooked, buffed, fried, pickled, smoked, etc.
My fave is to freeze, marinade and grill tofu!
Why freeze? You don't have to. I used to never do this, and it was just fine. Freezing changes the uniform texture into tougher, more stringy, and meat-like. Also you can press A LOT more liquid out of it, and it will absorb A LOT more flavor 🤤
- 4 blocks tofu
- 1/2 cup soy sause
- 1/2 Tbspn powdered ginger
- 1 Tbspn lemon juice
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbspn onion powder
- 1/2 tspn smoked paprika
- 1/2 tspn pepper
- 4 Tbspn sriracha, Korean bbq paste or regular bbq
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground ginger and tumeric root
- freshly ground lemon or orange peel
- a dash cayene
- any savory fresh herb
- Press tofu lightly and put on a wire rack. Freeze for at least 4 hrs. Take out of the freezer and thaw at least 6 hrs
- Press again and cut / crumble if you like
- mix your marinade ingredients and throw everything into a Tupperware or zip lock
- leave in the fridge for up to a week (the longer - the stronger the flavor is gonna be), or on the counter for at least 30 min if you're cooking immediately do what you want with it now- pan sear, bake, air fry (one of my friends just eats it uncooked lol)...
Top with fresh chives and roasted sesame seeds 😎